Sunday, July 3, 2011

The law of the fast

I found it very appropriate that I read the following verses this morning:

Is not this the fast that I have chosen? to loose the bands of wickedness, to undo the heavy burdens, and to let the oppressed go free, and that ye break every yoke? Is it not to dealt thy bread to the hungry, and that thou bring the poor that are cast out to thy house? when thou seest the naked, that thou cover him; and that thou hide not thyself from thine own flesh? Then shall thy light break forth as the morning, and thine health shall spring forth speedily: and thy righteousness shall go before thee; the glory of the Lord shall be thy rereward. Then shalt thou call, and the Lord shall answer; thou shalt cry, and he shall say, Here I am.... (Isaiah 58:6-9)

I had the opportunity today to join with others in fasting for a good friend. As Isaiah describes, fasting is not about afflicting ourselves. It is about undoing heavy burdens and breaking every yoke. And though we may fast physically, if we do so with the proper attitude, we also partake of a spiritual feast.

I have felt an outpouring of the Spirit today in my fast. I have felt the burden of worry for this friend lifted from my own shoulders, and I hope that she has felt her burden lifted (or at least lightened) as well. I have felt the love of my Savior; as Isaiah wrote: "thou shalt cry, and he shall say, Here I am."

I truly am grateful for the opportunity to fast each month and for the strength I receive through fasting. I am grateful for the power of fasting and prayer, especially as friends and family unite their faith together. I have learned that when the Lord asks for a sacrifice, He also provides blessings that far outweigh the sacrifice. He is always waiting to bless His children. He loves us, and He stands ready to lighten our burdens and speak peace to our minds and hearts, if we will turn to him, place our trust in Him, and lay our burdens at His feet. Fasting is an opportunity to learn humility and to draw nearer to Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ. It is an opportunity to learn unity among ourselves. It is an opportunity to serve and to experience charity--the pure love of Christ. I thank my Heavenly Father for this opportunity and for His great love!

No comments:

Post a Comment