Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Worship and tolerance

"We claim the privilege of worshiping Almighty God according to the dictates of our own conscience, and allow all men the same privilege, let them worship how, where, or what they may." These words come from our 11th article of faith. How a person worships might, for some women, include wearing pants. I will not judge--it is not my place to judge--how another person chooses to worship.

On the other hand, those of us who choose differently--those of us who choose to wear a dress or skirt to church--should not be judged for that choice either. It does not mean we don't like women who wear pants. It does not mean we will ignore them. We will tolerate and even love them. Shouldn't we be able to expect the same? As I have said before, intolerance in the name of tolerance is still intolerance. Tolerance means open-mindedness, a willingness to love all people. Just because I do not agree with someone does not mean I do not love that person. And I don't expect everyone to agree with me. What a boring world this would be if we were all exactly the same and agreed on everything!

Which brings about an interesting question... What is equality? If equality means everyone is the same, I don't want it! Why should I want to be equal to men if it means being the same? I don't want to be "equal" to other women, either, if it's just defined as sameness. We are children of God. In that sense we are all equal. But we are individuals, with unique and wonderful characteristics. I don't want to give up who I am to join some agenda that seeks to equalize everyone. "And the eye cannot say unto the hand, I have no need of thee: nor again the head to the feet, I have no need of you" (New Testament, 1 Corinthians 12:21). Every single one of us is needed, with our uniqueness. "If the whole body were an eye, where were the hearing? If the whole were hearing, where were the smelling?" (1 Corinthians 12:17). This is the beauty of the gospel. We can be individuals, and our individual identities are enhanced as we embrace and live the laws of the Lord.

I am tired of a small number of people claiming that they represent everyone--and specifically claiming that they represent me. I didn't like it with the "occupy" movement and the 99%, and I don't like it now. My frustration is not against those who choose to wear pants, but against those who suggest that if I don't, I must be submissive and willing to accept that I am somehow inferior to men. Obviously these people don't know me very well... I try very hard not to be judgmental, and I have never shunned a woman for wearing pants to church. I would appreciate the same respect in return. That is tolerance and equality.

I believe I can make myself more "equal" to men by embracing my femininity and complementing (LE, not LI) their masculinity. Think of how much we could accomplish if we each came with our individual strengths and shared those strengths as we worked together! If we were all the same, we would be missing out on a lot. The church runs well not because we are the same, but because we are different, and by bringing together our various talents we can help move the Lord's work forward.

The most important thing to remember is that the Lord's work will move forward. His team will win. The only question is, whose side will we be on? I don't choose to side with pants or with dresses. Neither can save me. I side with my Savior, Jesus Christ. He atoned for my sins and shortcomings, and only through Him can I be saved. If I choose to wear a dress or skirt, it is because I consider that a small way in which I can show respect to Him for all that He has done for me. It is because it makes me feel more worshipful. It is because I love Him. This one part of "how" I choose to worship, and as I respect others, I ask that they also respect me.

1 comment:

  1. Nicely done. I have also been thinking of the scripture reference you chose. It's so true.

    ReplyDelete