Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Welcome 2013

I haven't given much thought to what I want from this new year or what I want to do. I guess most of what I want relates to becoming: improving myself and becoming a better me. (Other desires and dreams I may have are at least partially dependent on other people.)

While we often think of a new year as time for goal-setting and for new beginnings, I am grateful that each day is an opportunity to begin anew, to try again, to be a little better. I was given a fresh view of repentance in sacrament meeting this week, and I love it. Because repentance means turning around, changing, coming nearer to God (the Bible Dictionary defines it as a fresh view about God, about oneself, and about the world), we do not have to do something wrong in order to repent. Repentance is about continually improving and drawing nearer to God as we do so.

In this sense, perhaps big, ambitious goals for the new year are not what I need. Perhaps what I need is simply a fresh view, a chance to refocus on the small things that are so important, even essential to my happiness and my spiritual well-being. This involves focusing and refocusing each day, evaluating my progress, holding myself accountable to myself and to my Heavenly Father each day. As I do this, I trust that I will also find an increase in the influence of the Spirit in my life--in all aspects of my life: work, schooling, callings, play, everything I do.

I believe Elder Bednar addressed what is going through my mind right now very well in his talk Pray Always, in which he suggests that each prayer should build upon the previous and be preparation for the next; as we address concerns in our prayers, our Heavenly Father will help us to improve through the guidance of His Spirit. We then report back to Him at the end of each day and recommit to try harder and continue to improve.

I am not suggesting that I need to make major changes to my life, nor am I suggesting that I am perfect (far from it!). Every mortal has room for improvement, or we would no longer be here on earth. ;) I just know that there is little chance that there will be major changes in my outward life this year: I have a good job, which I intend to keep, and I am still working toward a master's degree. In an outward, physical sense, my priorities will not change. But on a more personal, spiritual level, I can always improve, and I intend to do so.

I am so grateful for the scriptures and the words of living prophets to give us direction. I am also grateful for the Holy Ghost and the opportunity to receive personal revelation and guidance. I am grateful for the atonement of Jesus Christ, which makes it possible for me--for all of us--to repent and improve and progress continually. And while I am grateful for a new year, I am also grateful for each new day in which I can study and learn and do and become better.

1 comment:

  1. This is the best way to focus on what is important, I believe. Because if we want to have the direction of the Spirit in our lives, we need to be constantly seeking for heavenly direction. Thanks for the reminder. None of us should be beating ourselves up over lists and fancies, but we should be striving to become who the Lord would have us be.

    ReplyDelete