Sunday, December 7, 2014

When the inevitable finally happens...

It's already late tonight, but I've been thinking about this since yesterday afternoon. It was going to come up eventually. I've found myself wondering in the last while, at what age do children start to notice differences? Some of them never really say anything--or maybe they ask their parents at home. Now I have the beginnings of an answer.

At lunch yesterday, my nephew said to me, "Tia Cathy? Mommy and Daddy are taller than you. And Tia Sammy is taller than you. And Jenny, and Melanie." I smiled and told him, "Yep, you're right."

My brother actually surprised me more by telling him, "Jacob, that's not nice." It's always a little awkward, and it surprised all of us, but I wouldn't tell him it's not nice. He's just curious; even though he was making a statement, I think he was really asking a question.

I didn't have an answer for him right then. I'm not sure I have an answer for him now. All I can really tell him is that Heavenly Father made us all differently. In my case, I was born with a form of dwarfism, so I am smaller. He's absolutely right. His mommy and daddy are taller than I am. So are his other tias and tios. It's perfectly valid for a 4-year-old to wonder and express his curiosity. (I'd be more concerned if he didn't...)

I love my little guy! I hope I can come up with a good answer for him, for the next time I see him. It's all part of him learning and developing. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment