Sunday, May 31, 2020

Have you received His image in your countenance?

I have so many thoughts right now... so many things running through my mind. Among them is a sense of frustration at the number of people who want to cast blame on all whites for the existence of racism. My heart hurts right now. It hurts for what happened to George Floyd. It hurts for the many other cases I may never have heard of. And it hurts for this country and for the rioting that is destroying property and threatening additional lives.

As I've thought about this, and as I glanced at this week's Come, Follow Me reading, I realized how timely these scriptures are once again to what is happening. One of the big problems right now is that everyone is casting blame. I can't even say I'm sad or frustrated with events without being labeled a racist and part of the problem. So I as I looked at the Primary manual, found the coloring page for today's FHE lesson, and thought about the scripture, I realized just how relevant and timely this lesson is.





"And now behold, I ask of you, my brethren of the church, have ye spiritually been born of God? Have ye received his image in your countenances? Have ye experienced this mighty change in your hearts? Do ye exercise faith in the redemption of him who created you? Do you look forward with an eye of faith, and view this mortal body raised in immortality, and this corruption raised in incorruption, to stand before God to be judged according to the deeds which have been done in the mortal body? I say unto you, can you imagine to yourselves that ye hear the voice of the Lord, saying unto you, in that day: Come unto me ye blessed, for behold, your works have been the works of righteousness upon the face of the earth?" (Book of Mormon, Alma 5:14-16)

I explained to George and Liam that in chapter 5 of Alma, Alma asks the people a lot of questions that were intended to help them (and us!) become better people. We focused on the question "Have ye received His [Jesus Christ's] image in your countenances?" I explained that "image" is like "picture" and that "countenance" means face. So Alma was asking the people, in essence, "When someone looks at you, can they see Jesus? Or can they see your happiness and want to know Jesus because of you?"

Instead of pointing fingers, we all (and I include myself) need to make time for self-reflection. How do I answer these questions at this time? How do you answer them? (I don't expect you to tell me, anymore than I will answer those for you here; these are very personal, and my answers are between me and my Savior, Whose image I hope I receive in my countenance.) One thing I know: I want to hear the voice of the Lord saying, "Come unto me ye blessed...."

So, when I'm accused of racism simply because I don't understand what others have suffered... I can't help but think that, while I don't fully understand, there is One Who does.

"And he shall go forth, suffering pains and afflictions and temptations of every kind; and this that the word might be fulfilled which saith he will take upon him the pains and the sicknesses of his people. And he will take upon him death, that he may loose the bands of death which bind his people; and he will take upon him their infirmities, that his bowels may be filled with mercy, according to the flesh, that he may know according to the flesh how to succor his people according to their infirmities. Now the Spirit knoweth all things; nevertheless the Son of God suffereth according to the flesh that he might take upon him the sins of his people, that he might blot out their transgressions according to the power of his deliverance; and now behold, this is the testimony which is in me." (Book of Mormon, Alma 7:11-13)

Jesus Christ has literally suffered all things in order to redeem us. He knows our every pain and sickness and trial. When it seems that no one else understands, He does. He knows. And though we may not receive just recompense in this life, we will receive it. His mercy and love are extended to all. The degree to which we receive them depends on our acceptance.

I could even add that I have experienced (and still experience) significant prejudice. Not from most people, no, but there are many ignorant people out there. Does it compare to the racism many blacks in our country deal with? Probably not. But I'll add further that when I am in tune with the Holy Ghost, I have the ability to "mourn with those that mourn; yea, and comfort those that stand in need of comfort." (Book of Mormon, Mosiah 18:9) I have had the blessing of understanding through more than one experience that mourning with those that mourn does not mean feeling bad/sorry for them. It means actually experiencing their sorrow with them. The Holy Ghost can teach and guide me and help me to become more like Jesus Christ, including helping me to mourn with those that mourn. The heartache I feel right now is not just for me. It is for so many who are suffering, regardless of race or any other difference we may have.

This isn't about me. This is about recognizing that we are all children of God. This is about coming to love each other as Christ loves us... with a perfect love. In this moment, I know that Jesus Christ is aware of me and of my concerns and doubts and fears, of any pain and frustration I may be feeling. I know that He is also aware of the same for all of God's children throughout the world. He lives. He loves us. He is the Prince of Peace. It is only through Him that we can find peace. And I am grateful that even in a world of turmoil, I can find peace in my home and in my heart as I place my trust in my Savior. I pray that others my see His image reflected in my countenance, that I can live worthily to be able to share the light and love of the gospel and of my Savior. I love Him, and I am so grateful for His atoning sacrifice on my behalf. Through Him, I continue to find light and peace.

1 comment: