Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Blizzard... or not!

I think everyone enjoyed the "snow day" feeling yesterday: coming home early and staying home, nice and warm, watching movies, reading, etc. The predicted blizzard was not nearly as bad as they made it sound, though. We got a few inches downtown, most of it by 8:30 last night. There were white-out conditions for a short time, but certainly not all night like the weather people wanted us to believe.

However, there is no question that it was an arctic storm! I was so grateful to get a ride to work this morning, and as I walked home after work, I felt like Lucky from 101 Dalmatians: "My tail is froze, and my nose is froze, and my ears are froze, and my toes are froze!" It was definitely a man who determined that women working at the church offices should wear skirts every day... I don't mind it in the summer, but skirts in the winter are NOT FUN! Oh, well. Even so, my nose was probably the coldest part of me when I got home.

And then, of course, there are the hazards of walking on iced-over walkways. My apartment complex complied with the new city ordinance--the steps and walks immediately in front of both buildings were beautifully cleared this morning. However, the path around City Creek Park was not cleared--nor was it this afternoon. It's a path that sees almost constant foot traffic, which means that after a full day it is packed-down ice rather than snow. I wonder what can be done about it... Surely if there is a city ordinance, the city should also be expected to comply!

Anyway, as beautiful as the snow is, it is COLD. High was about 17 today, overnight low will be in the single digits. Hello, Winter! I'm so grateful for heat in my apartment. The winter wonderland is beautiful, but it's too cold for anyone to have to be outside!

2 comments:

  1. Do like a missionary in Canada. Whites, followed by cotton socks, followed by thermals, followed by nylons, followed by blouse and skirt, followed by wool sweater and wool socks followed, followed by scarf, followed by long wool dress coat, followed by knee-high boots, followed by wool cap with ear flaps and matching mittens. Really it just takes a little planning (and a duffel bag to hold all the extra wool garments for the 6-8 hours you are in-doors) and wearing a skirt in winter is no problem. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. And write a letter to the city about abiding by their own rules!

    ReplyDelete