Thursday, August 1, 2013

Peace be unto thy soul

I've had a lot going through my mind this afternoon and evening. Do you ever wonder why some people seem to have it easy, seem to be so blessed, while others seem to have more than their fair share of difficulties? Perhaps we question it even more when those in the first group seem to be living in their pride, doing what they want, while those in the second seem to be giving their all to do what is right. Unfortunately, we live in an imperfect world. Fortunately, we have a loving Heavenly Father who is always watching out for us and who wants us to succeed. Sometimes we can't see how, and sometimes we can't understand why He would send us such difficult tests when we are already trying so hard to be obedient.

I'm not posting this so I'll have a large number of people worrying about me--I'm fine. I posted last year about how I had learned what it means to mourn with those that mourn. Since then, including today, I have had times when I have felt this keenly again: a pain that isn't mine but that is very real, accompanied by an understanding that the Lord is slowly teaching me what it means to keep my baptismal covenants.

Other thoughts have come to my mind this evening as I have considered my friend's circumstances. Specifically, my mind went to Doctrine and Covenants 121: "O God, where art thou? And where is the pavilion that covereth thy hiding place? How long shall thy hand be stayed, and thine eye, yea thy pure eye, behold from the eternal heavens the wrongs of thy people and of thy servants, and thine ear be penetrated with their cries? Yea, O Lord, how long shall they suffer these wrongs and unlawful oppressions, before thine heart shall be softened toward them, and thy bowels be moved with compassion toward them?" (verses 1-3). This was Joseph Smith's plea to God from Liberty Jail; he continued in verse 6: "Remember thy suffering saints, O our God; and thy servants will rejoice in thy name forever."

I can't imagine enduring what Joseph endured, including unlawful imprisonment on more than one occasion. Yet he allowed his trials to strengthen his faith in Jesus Christ and in His power to save. His plea is not a complaint, only a plea. He was suffering, but he expressed his faith and even his willingness to rejoice in the name of God.

And Joseph received an answer: "My son, peace be unto thy soul; thine adversity and thine afflictions shall be but a small moment; And then, if thou endure it well, God shall exalt thee on high; thou shalt triumph over all thy foes" (verses 7-8). Joseph was not promised immediate relief. In fact, in section 122 the Lord describes other calamities that could come upon him, ending with "... and above all, if the very jaws of hell shall gape open the mouth wide after thee, know thou, my son, that all these things shall give thee experience, and shall be for thy good" (verse 8). It doesn't sound very encouraging unless you read on: "The Son of Man hath descended below them all. Art thou greater than he?" (verse 8); and at the end of verse 9: "therefore, fear not what man can do, for God shall be with you forever and ever."

Jesus Christ has the power to save from all circumstances. His atonement covers all our sins and our trials and sufferings, if we will but come unto Him. It is comforting to know that He suffered all that man can suffer, that He truly understands anything we can ever experience. While I may feel a small part of what my friend feels right now, I cannot fully understand. But Christ does, and He knows each of our needs and desires and the thoughts and intents of our hearts. He experienced everything, and He will be with us to comfort and strengthen us as we seek Him.

The beauty of the gospel and of the atonement is that even when we cannot see the way clearly, our Savior does. Even when it seems impossible to come through a situation, nothing is impossible with the help of the Lord. My friend has mentioned the need for a miracle. Well, fortunately, God is a God of miracles--yesterday, today, and forever. It still does not mean that things will happen in the way our mortal minds, with limited mortal vision, might like. We do not have the eternal perspective that He does. This makes it more difficult to understand. Though the Lord told Joseph Smith, as already quoted, "thine adversity and thine afflictions shall be but a small moment," I suspect that small moment felt like an eternity at the time. This is a time when we slowly learn to trust, when we strive to perfect our faith, trusting that though we do not see the full picture, our Heavenly Father has something wonderful in store for us.

Someday we will also see things perfectly. We will also see the whole picture. Someday we will come to understand why we were tested in ways that sometimes seemed beyond our mortal capacity. Someday we will see that some trials were to allow us to draw near to the Lord, to strengthen us, to prepare us. If we allow Him to, the Lord will lead us through our trials to beautiful blessings. Some of these may come in mortality. Many will not come until later. But they will come. As the Lord promised Joseph Smith, again already quoted, "And then, if thou endure it well, God shall exalt thee on high; thou shalt triumph over all thy foes." We can receive no greater reward than eternal life and exaltation. What we experience on earth is intended to prepare us for that.

So for now, we press forward. We seek the Lord. We lift up the hands that hang down and strengthen the feeble knees, hoping that someone will do the same for us in our time of need. We fast and pray and exercise faith, not just for our own benefit, but for the benefit of those we love. We seek the peace that comes only from the Lord, the peace that comes in spite of trials and hardships. And as we feel that peace, we seek to share it.

I certainly don't see everything. I wish there were some way that I could make things right for my friend, for others who suffer. I can't--not fully. But the Lord can, and I can continue to exercise faith that He is able to do so. I can offer a hand of friendship and support and a listening ear.

My hope is that we can all learn to rely more fully upon Jesus Christ and His atonement, both in times of need and in times of plenty. As we do so, we can be better prepared to overcome our own trials and to reach out to others in theirs. As we look for the small daily miracles, we will feel more able to ask for the miracles that may seem impossible. A Savior who can forgive sins, who can cleanse and purify and sanctify us, can surely bring us through any trial, great or small. I trust in this--for myself, for my friend, and for others who may be suffering right now. I know that our Savior can heal us completely and perfectly and bring us back to Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment