Sunday, December 14, 2014

Oh, Christmas Choir Concert starts with "C"!

My mom wanted me to share a few thoughts on the Mormon Tabernacle Choir concert with Santino Fontana and the Sesame Street muppets, since I had the opportunity to go. I decided that would be easier to do in a blog post rather than an extra long status update, so here goes...

I think "magical" is probably the best word I have to describe the concert. I grew up with Sesame Street and loved it. I always loved Big Bird and Ernie, especially, but I was definitely a Sesame Street child. Being there for the concert made me feel like a little kid again: bright, shining eyes; huge smile; and very eager clapping. I don't think there was any point in the concert where I was not smiling. I just couldn't help it. But at the end, as I looked around at the other people attending the concert, I could see that it was the same for most of them. For the first time ever, children as young as 5 were allowed to attend (8 is usually the requirement), and as I looked around and saw so many happy faces following the concert, it almost seemed like all of us there were only 5 years old again. And the more I thought about, the more I realized how very appropriate that was for a Christmas concert. It really put the magic into this Christmas season and into our hearts. The love and joy we all felt as we left the concert is a major part of what Christmas is all about!

Santino Fontana made his entrance in a hot air balloon, singing "The Candy Man," and it just got better from there. Once the muppets joined the performance, it was a lot like watching an episode of Sesame Street. Each muppet wanted a part in the show and chose what to do. Rosita and Abby Cadabby wanted to be in the choir, and they even got choir dresses to match what the women were wearing. Ernie and Bert wanted to help backstage, although they also got their chance to announce numbers, and Ernie "dragged" Bert onstage for his turn to perform. (With Santino Fontana at the piano, the three of them and others sang "Sing [a Song].") Grover wanted to direct--the show, not the choir and orchestra--so he went to the control room. Elmo wanted to record on his video camera as he learned how Christmas was "more." This included a visit outside to see the lights on Temple Square. Cookie Monster wanted... well, what does Cookie Monster always want? He continued to ask for Christmas cookies throughout the performance, although he also learned about Christmas: when he finally got a plate of cookies, he said he could just eat one and then share the rest. Big Bird couldn't decide what he wanted to do at first, but then he thought it would be fun to direct the orchestra and choir. That was entertaining. :)

The Count only made an appearance to join in Richard Elliott's traditional organ solo--a duet, this time. I actually wasn't at all surprised by this. I expected him to come on with Richard Elliott. And, of course, "Twelve Days of Christmas" was the perfect choice, since it gives plenty of counting. "My true love must have a thing for birds... ahaha!!!" Really, think about how many gifts in the song consist of birds. I also got a kick out of "Five golden rings!!! And five happy couples!!! I love weddings!" as Richard Elliott worked in Wagner's wedding march. For the first time ever (and quite possibly the last time ever), "Twelve Days of Christmas did not drag; in fact, it was not anywhere near long enough.

I was happy (though not surprised) to hear "Keep Christmas With You" as part of the show, as well. It didn't seem like many audience members were familiar with the song, but it captures so many feelings:

Keep Christmas with you all through the year.
When Christmas is over, save some Christmas cheer.
These precious moments, hold them very dear,
And keep Christmas with you all through the year.

And since some songs had to be arranged for the choir to join in, it also only made sense that they might change the words a little. As Cookie Monster was still grumbling about how C is for cookie and he really wanted Christmas cookies, Santino Fontana reminded him that C is also for Christmas; and for concert, which he was a part of; and for the fabulous choir behind them. "Oh, Christmas Choir Concert starts with C!"

I can hardly wait for the DVD to come out next year. It is something I will probably watch again every Christmas season. I'd also like to share the magic with my niece and nephew next year (and by then, their new baby brother or sister) and perhaps someday with children of my own. Truly, the best part of the concert was feeling the joy of a child and being awakened to the beauty and magic of Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment