Sunday, August 1, 2010

Is it really August already?

Would someone care to tell me what happened to July? Or for that matter, what happened to the whole year? It has gone by way too quickly. It seems like I just barely had a birthday; is it really time for another one? Is the summer really almost over? How did that happen? I really have a hard time believing that the earth isn't literally spinning faster. Can't we slow it down just a little?

I do have to say, I very much appreciate fast Sundays, in spite of the ongoing jokes that they are really slow and not fast. Yes, it's easy to think they're slow when you're hungry. And sometimes it's too easy to focus on the hunger. But with every commandment the Lord gives, there is always a promised blessing, and fasting is no different. There is truly an outpouring of the Lord's Spirit when I fast with a purpose and with the proper attitude. And really, it's a blessing to have a "slow" day, when so many days seem to fly by so quickly. I'm not sure what I'd do without a Sabbath, but I think I'd probably go insane... It is a day of rest from the cares of the world, a chance to be spiritually uplifted and rejuvenated. Proper Sabbath observance and worship is what gives me the strength to face each new week! It is a blessing to know that no matter how hectic life gets, I can look forward to a day of peace and rest.

"Gently raise the sacred strain,
For the Sabbath's come again,
That man may rest,
And return his thanks to God
For his blessings to the blest."

No comments:

Post a Comment