Sunday, November 14, 2010

Taking a Stand... So long, Harry Potter :(

I received some disappointing news this evening from some friends and confirmed it on deseretnews.com. Apparently Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, pt. 1, contains nudity in two scenes (neither of which actually come from the book). More information is contained in the article 'Potter' scene is worrying some families, from which I will quote in my post.

One person says, "I think we put too much of a negative association with the human body, and people get naked every day. You take off your clothes to take a shower I just don't see the problem with it." The director, David Yates, talks about one of the scenes being "very tender."

So, yes, it may be a problem that there is such a negative association with the human body. Yes, there is beauty in the human body. Why? Because not only were we created by God, we were created in God's image: "And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness... So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them" (Genesis 1:26-27). Of course our bodies are beautiful! But for the same reason, they are also sacred. They are not intended to be put on display. I will save my body for the man I marry, and for no one else. I would expect him, whoever he may be, to do the same. On the same token, I have no desire to see a man's body, in life or on screen. I was bothered by the fact that Daniel Radcliffe chose to expose himself in other venues, but was it really necessary to pull that into the Harry Potter movies? No!!!!

I also find it bothersome that with two nude scenes, the movie is still only PG-13. What?!?!?! Seriously?!?!?! One person in the article says he hopes parents will leave young children at home. Honestly, I would have hoped that without the nudity involved. The storyline is intense and certainly not intended for young children. But I do not even entirely agree with this man. If parents feel strongly enough to want to protect their children from these scenes, what business do they have watching them either? Sorry if that sounds harsh, and I won't judge those who choose to see it still, but the more I've thought about it tonight, the more I realize that I can't go. I'm disappointed. I was really looking forward to seeing it. But I'm not going. End. (Don't worry, Marla, I will pay you for the ticket. I just can't go. I can't support this, and I can't do that to myself.)

Now I've said it. I'm frustrated, and I'm disappointed not to see the movie. But I feel better. And, really, there are better things I can do with my time than to corrupt my mind with one director's idea of a "tender" scene.

1 comment:

  1. I think it is sad , that movie company's can ruin a great work of art by selling out to the masses. You are correct in choosing what you decide to be tasteful. Great Job!!

    ReplyDelete